Images are not to scale.
Please contact us via email to inquire about this item.
[Album with Thirty Original Photos of the Connaught Barracks in Nanaimo and Its Military Contingent During the WW1].
Ca. 1915-1916. Quarto (ca. 29x23,5 cm). 27 album leaves. With thirty gelatin silver prints ca. 8x13,5 cm (3 x 5 ½ in) or smaller. Period black cloth album fastened with a string, with a gilt lettered title "The Ideal Scrap Book" on the front board. Leaves with the attached photos slightly wavy, several images removed by previous owners, but overall a very good album. Historically important collection of thirty original photos of the Connaught Barracks in Nanaimo during the WW1 and the troops stationed there, including the 72th Regiment of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, and the Canadian Mounted Rifles. The images include group portraits of the officers and soldiers, scenes of military exercises of infantry and artillery troops, reviews and parades et al. Several views show different wooden buildings of the barracks, the main building (former Nanaimo Agricultural Hall), a tent camp nearby, and the Nanaimo Bastion. A very interesting collection of original photos apparently taken by a member of a regiment stationed at the Connaught Barracks. "In 1911 work started on the Agricultural Hall. It was opened the following year. In 1913 there were sheds to accommodate horses, cows, pigs and sheep on the grounds. By October of 1913 the hall had been turned over to the military to house the Civil Aid Force during the big (miners) strike of 1912-1914. Detachments of troops were still stationed on the site in August, 1914 when World War One started. At this time, the Agricultural Hall was renamed the Connaught Barracks. In 1915, the animal sheds were demolished to build stables for the horses of elements of the Canadian Mounted Rifles stationed at the barracks. By 1917, agricultural shows were once again being held at the site <...>" (Nanaimo Cultural Heritage Newsletter. November 2014, online). Most of the buildings of the Connaught Barracks were demolished in 1957, apart from the single stable building (modern address - the intersection of Machleary and Wentworth Streets).