British Columbia in Original Historical Photographs
Part 5 - Victoria, Vancouver Island & the Southern BC Coast


If you wish to purchase any item please email us at:wayfarers@shaw.ca

FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

Images are not to scale.

Email us to request more photos of an item.




324. BAILEY & NEELANDS
[Original Photograph Titled:] 705. Victoria, B.C. from Government Buildings.

Ca. 1890. Albumen print ca. 11x18,5 cm (4 ¼ x 7 ¼ in). Titled in negative, mounted on the original photographers’ card with printed text “Bailey and Neelands. Vancouver B.C.” on the mount. A very good bright photo.
The photo overlooks the Inner Harbour of Victoria, showing the wooden bridge across the original James Bay before it was filled in 1903-1904; the CPR “Empress” hotel was erected on the site in 1908.
The “Bailey & Neelands” photography company was established in the summer 1889 by two Vancouver based photographers Charles S. Bailey (1869-1896) and Hamilton George Neelands (1859?-1935). The partnership was dissolved in December 1890 and succeeded by that of the Bailey Bros. (ca. 1890-1898). H. Neelands moved to Nelson with his brother James and established with him the photographic firm of the Neelands Bros. (ca. 1891-1897) (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$850 CAD

 

325. FLEMING BROTHERS
[Original Photograph of a Tugboat Bringing a Steamer through the Strait of Juan de Fuca].

Ca. 1890s. Albumen print ca. 23,5x28 cm (9 ¼ x 11 in) mounted on the original photographers’ card with blind stamped text “Fleming Bros. 50 ½ Government St. Victoria, B.C.” on the mount. Recently matted. Image slightly faded, with staining and water damage on the left, water damage to the extremities of the mount; but overall a good photo.
“Fleming Bros.,” a Victoria photo studio (ca. 1901-1914) was operated by Edgar (ca. 1860-1938) and Harold Fleming (ca. 1865-1934). “The building in which the studio was located is still standing at 1014 Government St. (upstairs). Primarily portrait photographers, the brothers’ landscape work included departure activity at the Victoria Harbour docks during the Klondike Gold Rush. Edgar also accompanied a Vancouver Island exploring expedition as its photographer in 1896 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$275 CAD

 

326. GOWEN SUTTON CO. LTD.
[Collection of Ten Real Photo Postcards of Victoria].

Ca. 1920s. Ten gelatin silver prints ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All but two titled in negative. One postcard with the right lower corner slightly creased, otherwise a very good collection.
3 postcards with Victoria’s general views: The Harbour; Foul Bay; The Gorge.
4 postcards showing streets of Victoria: Douglas St. (two different views); Government St. (two different views).
3 postcards showing Victoria’s notable buildings: Parliament Buildings; Empress Hotel; Public Library.
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$575 CAD

 

327. MAYNARD, Richard
[Original Stereoview Photograph of the Gorge Waters, the Inner Part of the Victoria Harbour].

Ca. 1880s. A pair of gelatin silver prints ca. 7,5x16,5 cm (3 x 6 5/8 in). Mounted on the original card with the photographer’s printed copyright on recto and verso. Period ink inscription “The Gorge, Victoria, B.C.” on verso. A very good stereoview.
“The Gorge Waters are part of Victoria Harbour. At the Gorge itself, the channel narrows to about 10 m in width. A reversing tidal rapids is formed there at full flood and ebb, when a foaming cascade of white water is squeezed through the narrow passage. Songhees First Nation members know the Gorge as Camossung (often spelled Camosack or Camosun) and consider it a sacred site for spirit quests” (The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names online).
Richard Maynard (1832-1907), a noted B.C. photographer, opened a photo studio in Victoria in 1862. He took several trips around the Pacific Northwest which resulted in numerous photographs (Barkerville, Vancouver Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea, Alaska, Canadian Rockies); he also prospected gold in the Fraser Canyon during the gold rush of 1858-59, and on the Stikine gold fields in 1862. His wife Hannah was also a photographer and owned “Mrs. Maynards’ Photographic Gallery” in Victoria (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$325 CAD

 

328. WILLIAM NOTMAN & SON
[Original Photograph Titled:] 1808. Victoria, B.C., from Government Buildings.

Ca. 1887. Albumen print ca. 18x23,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Numbered, titled and signed “Wm. Notman & Son, Montreal” in negative. Mounted on a period paper leaf and recently matted. Slightly faded on the extreme left margin, otherwise a very good bright photo.
The photo overlooks the Inner Harbour of Victoria, showing the wooden bridge across the original James Bay before it was filled in 1903-1904.
William Notman & Son” (ca. 1880-1900s) was a company founded by William McFarlane Notman (1851-1913), a son of famous Montreal photographer William Notman (1826-1891). William McFarlane took several trips to B.C. with the purpose of taking photographs, accompanied by his brothers Charles F. and George R.W. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$975 CAD

 

329. TRIO STUDIO
[Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards of the Inner Harbour of Victoria].
1906, 1910. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 8x13,5 cm (3 ¼ x 5 3/8 in). Both with printed titles. A very good collection.
Indian Canoe Race, Victoria (with address in ink and a Victoria postal stamp dated 1906 on verso; an ink note on recto reads: “We were here, 24/6/06”); Gorge Bridge (with address and note in pencil dated 1910, and with a Victoria postal stamp on verso).
Trio Photograph & Supply Co., operated by Ernest W. Crocker (1877-1968) was active in Victoria in 1908-1946 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$165 CAD

 

330. TRUEMAN & CAPLE
[Original Photograph Titled:] 1481. Wreck of S.S. “San Pedro” off South End, Vancouver Island, B.C.

Ca. 1890s. Albumen print ca. 18x23 cm (7x9 in) mounted on a period card leaf and recently matted. Titled and signed “Trueman & Caple, Vancouver, B.C.” in negative. Image mildly faded, but overall a good photo. With another albumen print by Trueman and Caple mounted on verso of the album leaf: 1208. S.S. “Empress of China” (property of C.P.R.), ca. 17,5x24 cm (7 x 9 ½ in), creased and slightly damaged in the center.
The photo shows the US steamer San Pedro which grounded on Brotchie Ledge in the Strait of Juan de Fuca near the Beacon Hill Park in 1891, which remained there for six years.
Beacon Hill was “named in the 1840s by HBC officials after two beacons were installed - one on the hill and one on the shoreline - so that, when they were aligned, mariners could avoid running aground on dangerous offshore Brotchie Ledge when entering Victoria Harbour. The feature appears as Mt. Beacon on an early Admiralty chart published in 1847, but the name Beacon Hill was well established by 1864. The area around the hill was reserved as a public park by Gov. James Douglas in the 1850s.” (The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names online).
“The partnership of photographers Richard Henry Trueman (1856-1911) and Norman Caple (1866-1911) lasted from ca. 1890 to 1893. They travelled the Canadian Pacific Railway line for about a year and then set up headquarters in Vancouver. Their catalogue, published about 1891, listed views numbered from 500 to 985 in three sizes. After Trueman & Caple had been dissolved towards the end of 1893, both men continued in the photographic business as N. Caple & Co. and R.H. Trueman & Co. Trueman was a superb landscape photographer and was one of few West Coast photographers to print his negatives on platinum paper. The first modern public exhibit of his work was produced by the Peter and Catharine Whyte Foundation, Banff, in 1981” (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$275 CAD

 

331. WATKINS, Carleton
[Original Stereoview Photograph Titled:] Panorama of Victoria (B.C.) from the Government Buildings, (No. 10). 5273.

Ca. 1880s. A pair of albumen prints ca. 8x15,5cm (3 1/8 x 6 ¼ in). Mounted on original card with the photographer’s printed copyright on recto. Stamp “Michael J. Pecosky collection” on verso. Slightly faded, otherwise a very good stereoview.
Nice panorama of the Inner Harbour of Victoria, showing the wooden bridge across the original James Bay before it was filled in 1903-1904.
Carleton E. Watkins (1829-1916) “was an American photographer best known for his artistic documentation of the landscape of the American West. He also produced images of industrial sites in that region. His first significant landscape project involved making large-format (21 × 18 inch [roughly 53 × 46 cm]) images of Yosemite Valley. These photographs were influential in President Lincoln’s decision to name Yosemite a national preserve and ultimately in persuading the United States Congress to pass legislation preserving the valley from commercial development. Because of these photographs Mount Watkins in Yosemite was named in his honour (1865). Besides photographing landscapes in and around San Francisco from 1867 through the 1880s, Watkins traveled extensively. He photographed the Columbia River region and Mount Shasta in the Pacific Northwest, parts of southern California and Arizona, Nevada’s Comstock mines, and Yellowstone National Park. His work was exhibited extensively and won medals in expositions throughout the United States and Europe.” (Encyclopaedia Britannica).
$475 CAD

 

332. [BEACON HILL]
[Original Photograph View from the Beacon Hill, Victoria, Looking South].

Ca. 1885. Albumen print ca. 15x22,5 cm (5 ¾ x 8 ¾ in). Mounted on period card and recently matted. Minor foxing on the upper margin, otherwise a very good photo.
The photo is taken looking toward Port Angeles (Washington) and shows a steamship and sailing boats in waters of the Juan de Fuca Strait, with two men, a dog, and a group of cows in the foreground.
$425 CAD

 

333. [ESQUIMALT HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph of the Esquimalt Harbour with Several Naval Ships Saluting, Titled:] Esquimalt, B.C., 1900. “Icarus.” “Leander.” “Warspite.” “Arethusa (in smoke).” “Pheasant.”

Ca. 1900. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x31 cm (7 ½ x 12 in). Mounted on period card and recently matted. Two lower corners of the mount bent, slightly affecting the image, otherwise a very good photo.
The photo depicts British naval ships of the Pacific Station, based in the Esquimalt Royal Navy Dockyard: HMS Arethusa (1882), HMS Leander (1882), HMS Icarus (1885), HMS Pheasant (1888), and HMS Warspite (1884) - the flagship on the Pacific Station in 1890-1893.
“Esquimalt Royal Naval Dockyard was a major British Royal Navy yard on Canada's Pacific coast from 1842 to 1905, subsequently operated by the Canadian government to the present day. The naval dockyard was located in Esquimalt, adjacent to Esquimalt Harbour and the city of Victoria, to replace a base in Valparaíso, Chile as the home of the Royal Navy's Pacific Station and was the only Royal Navy base in western North America” (Wikipedia).
$575 CAD

 

334. [ESQUIMALT HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph of the Esquimalt Harbour Showing Most Likely the Naval Club in the Foreground].

Ca. 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x24,5 cm (7 ½ x 9 ½ in). Recently matted. Slightly soiled on verso, with minor tears neatly repaired, otherwise a very good photo.
$525 CAD

 

335. [ESQUIMALT HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph View of the Esquimalt Harbour with the Buildings of the Royal Navy Dockyard and Naval Ships at Anchor or in the Strait of Juan de Fuca].

Ca. 1880. Albumen print ca. 18x22 cm (7 x 8 ¾ in). Mounted on period card and recently matted. Period ink inscription “Esquimalt Harbour” on the lower margin of the mount. Image mildly faded, otherwise very good.
“Esquimalt Royal Naval Dockyard was a major British Royal Navy yard on Canada's Pacific coast from 1842 to 1905, subsequently operated by the Canadian government to the present day. The naval dockyard was located in Esquimalt, adjacent to Esquimalt Harbour and the city of Victoria, to replace a base in Valparaíso, Chile as the home of the Royal Navy's Pacific Station and was the only Royal Navy base in western North America” (Wikipedia).
$550 CAD

 

336. [GORGE WATERS]
[Original Photograph of the Gorge Waters, the Inner Part of Victoria Harbour].

Ca. 1888. Albumen print ca. 18x24,5 cm (7 x 9 ½ in). Mounted on a period paper leaf, with a manuscript caption “The Gorge, Victoria, Vancouver Island, 1888” on the mount. Recently matted. A very good photo.
“The Gorge Waters are part of Victoria Harbour. At the Gorge itself, the channel narrows to about 10 m in width. A reversing tidal rapids is formed there at full flood and ebb, when a foaming cascade of white water is squeezed through the narrow passage. Songhees First Nation members know the Gorge as Camossung (often spelled Camosack or Camosun) and consider it a sacred site for spirit quests” (The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names online).
$425 CAD

 

337. [GORGE WATERS]
[Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of the Gorge Waters].

Ca. 1910s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Two titled in negative, one with a printed title. A very good collection.
1 postcard by Shaw & Co. Photo: The Gorge, Victoria, B.C. (with a pencil note on verso).
2 anonymous postcards: Scene in the Gorge Park, Victoria, B.C.; 394. Gorge Park, Victoria, B.C. (with an ink note on verso).
$135 CAD

 

338. [INNER HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph of the Inner Harbour of Victoria taken in Winter, with the Wooden Bridge across James Bay on the Right and the Tower of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in the Distance].

1895. Albumen print ca. 16x21,5 cm (6 ¼ x 8 ½ in). Mounted on a period album leaf and recently matted. Blind stamped text “M. F.K. Rives, No. 74” on the left margin. Manuscript caption in French “Victoria, Aout 1895” on the mount. Minor foxing on the right margin of the mount, left upper corner creased, otherwise a very good photo.
Opened in 1890, “St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church is a landmark red-brick structure, located at the corner of Douglas and Broughton Streets in downtown Victoria. The Church is notable for its prominent corner tower, which is situated at a bend in Broughton Street and terminates the view to the west. The church displays a number of distinctive features, including crow-stepped gables, a variety of projections and towers, corner tourelles, and a picturesque roofline” (HistoricPlaces.ca).
$575 CAD

 

339. [INNER HARBOUR]
[Original Photograph of the Victoria Inner Harbour Taken from the Lawn in Front of the Legislature Building].

Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 11x16,5 cm (4 ¼ x 6 ½ in). Titled “Victoria, B.C.” in negative. Recently matted. A very good photo.
The photo depicts the crossing of Government and Bellevue streets, showing a part of the stone embankment of the Inner Harbour, the Union Club (1913), and the Belmont Building (1912).
$375 CAD

 

340. [INNER HARBOUR AND LEGISLATIVE BUILDINGS]
[Collection of Four Real Photo Postcards of the Inner Harbour and the Legislative Buildings].

Ca. 1900s-1910s. Four gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). All unsigned, one titled in negative, two with handwritten titles on the lower margins. One postcard with old mount residue on verso, one slightly robbed on extremities, otherwise a very good collection.
The postcards show: 7. Parliament Buildings, Victoria, B.C.; [View of the Inner Harbour with the Legislative Buildings and the Empress Hotel] (with an ink note on verso: “#1919. Victoria Harbour, Sepia Panel”); Parliament Buildings, Victoria, B.C. (manuscript title on the lower margin; old mount residue on verso); Inner Harbour, Victoria, B.C. (with address in ink on verso and Victoria postal stamp dated 1910 on recto).
The last postcard bears an ink stamp on verso, belonging to Victoria postcard dealer and publisher of Chinese origin “Y.G. Leekun, Sub. 3., Douglas St. and King’s Rd., Victoria”.
Y. G. Leekun, a Chinese immigrant to Victoria, was an author of the "Blue Book: How to Play Mah Jong: Standard Rules" (Victoria B.C., n.d., early 20th century). He was listed as a member of the “Hobby Club” in 1910; his membership entry indicating his ability to speak Chinese, English, French, German and Japanese. The same year he became a Hobby Club secretary for British Columbia (see more: The Hobbyist, November 1910). Another postcard with the Leekun’s stamp and Vancouver postal stamp dated 1910 (showing Hastings Street) is in the BC postcards collection of SFU.
$225 CAD

 

341. [VICTORIA & ESQUIMALT]
[Three Original Photograph Panoramas of Victoria and Esquimalt Harbours].

Ca. 1910s. Three gelatin silver prints, each ca. 5,5x17,5 cm (2 ¼ x 7 in) or slightly smaller. Titled in ink on margins, with pencil notes on verso. Recently matted. Minor mount residue on verso, central image with corners slightly bent and minor holes on the upper margin. Overall a very good collection.
The panoramas shows: Victoria, B.C. [From the note on verso:] View from Government St., from Museum window in Parliament Bldgs. (The Empress hotel is seen on the right); Victoria, B.C. [From the note on verso:] Harbour at Victoria, B.C.; Esquimalt, B.C. [From the note on verso:] Dry dock & navy yards.
$475 CAD

 

STREETS & NOTABLE BUILDINGS

342. E.P. CHARLTON & CO. LTD.
[Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards Showing Government and Yates Streets in Victoria].

Ca. 1910s. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 8x14 cm (3 ¼ x 5 3/8 in). Both titled in negative, with the photographer’s ink stamp on verso. A very good collection.
28C. Government Street, Victoria, B.C.; 23C. Yates Street, Victoria, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Victoria postal stamp dated 1911 on verso).
E.P. Charleton was a Victoria photographer specialized in postcards and active in the 1910s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$300 CAD

 

343. CLARKE, John Henry
[Original Photograph Titled on verso:] 98. New Parliament Building, Victoria, B.C.

Ca. early 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 18x23 cm (7x9 in). With the ink stamped title and photographer’s name “J.H. Clarke, Photographer, West Selkirk Manitoba” on verso. Recently matted. Minor mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good bright photo.
“Legislative Buildings overlooking Victoria Harbour were constructed in stages from 1893 to 1916. They replaced the original colonial buildings, known as the Birdcages, which had housed the BC government since 1859. Designed by Francis Rattenbury, the buildings utilized many BC materials, including granite from Nelson Island and roofing slate from Jervis Inlet. A 2-m gilded statue of George Vancouver graces the top of the central dome. Critics of the building project complained at its cost; mainlanders suspected it was an excuse to "anchor" the capital on the Island just as Victoria was being eclipsed by Vancouver. The first stage of the project opened on 10 Feb 1898; the Parliamentary Library was added in 1916. The building is outlined at night by 3,300 light bulbs. It went through extensive modernization and restoration in 1974” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
John Henry Clarke (1860-1923) immigrated to Canada in 1891 and three years later started working as an employee of the “Duffin & Company” photography studio in Winnipeg. “He accompanied a group of Manitobans going to find their fortunes in the Klondike Gold Rush as far as Victoria, BC, returning to Winnipeg afterwards. In 1903, Clarke moved to Selkirk where he appears to have remained for the rest of his photography career” (Manitoba Historical Society online).
$475 CAD

 

344. FLEMING, Harold (1865?-1934)
[Original Photograph of the Provincial Normal School in Victoria].

Ca. 1928. Gelatin silver print ca. 18,5x23,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in), mounted on original photographers’ card with stamped text “Harold Fleming 1014 Government St. Victoria, B.C.” on the mount. Overall a very good photo.
“The Provincial Normal School is a landmark three storey, symmetrical Edwardian era Beaux Arts style building, with formal landscaping including a grand avenue of trees between the school and Lansdowne Road. It sits on the southern slope of Mount Tolmie overlooking Victoria, in the Shelbourne area of Saanich. The Young Building, the school's main building, was named for Henry Esson Young, Provincial Minister of Education who pushed through reforms to the education system. The school was opened in 1915 for the purpose of training teachers for elementary and high schools for all of B.C., except for the Lower Mainland, which had its own training school in Vancouver.
The Provincial Normal School is significant because it has been used nearly continuously for educational purposes since 1915. After being used as a military hospital during the Second World War, the campus was shared by the Normal School and Victoria College. They were united by statue in 1955 as Victoria College, later forming the basis for the establishment of the University of Victoria. Camosun College took over this building in 1970” (HistoricPlaces.ca).
Harold Fleming (ca. 1865-1934) was a Victoria photographer active in ca. 1901-1934. He started as a partner in the “Fleming Bros.” and later operated independently (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$275 CAD

 

345. MAYNARD, Richard
[Original Stereoview Photograph of the “Birdcages”- First Legislature Buildings in Victoria].

Ca. 1880s. A pair of albumen prints ca. 8x16 cm (3 1/8 x 6 3/8 in). Mounted on original card with the photographer’s printed copyright on recto and verso. Minor soiling on the upper margin, otherwise a very good stereoview.
Richard Maynard (1832-1907), a noted B.C. photographer, opened a photo studio in Victoria in 1862. He took several trips around the Pacific Northwest which resulted in numerous photographs (Barkerville, Vancouver Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea, Alaska, Canadian Rockies); he also prospected gold in the Fraser Canyon during the gold rush of 1858-59, and on the Stikine gold fields in 1862. His wife Hannah was also a photographer and owned “Mrs. Maynards’ Photographic Gallery” in Victoria (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$475 CAD

 

346. MAYNARD, Richard
[Original Stereoview Photograph of the Legislature Buildings in Victoria].

Ca. 1900. A pair of gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x17 cm (3 ¼ x 6 ¾ in). Mounted on original card with the photographer’s printed copyright on verso. A very good stereoview.
Richard Maynard (1832-1907), a noted B.C. photographer, opened a photo studio in Victoria in 1862. He took several trips around the Pacific Northwest which resulted in numerous photographs (Barkerville, Vancouver Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea, Alaska, Canadian Rockies); he also prospected gold in the Fraser Canyon during the gold rush of 1858-59, and on the Stikine gold fields in 1862. His wife Hannah was also a photographer and owned “Mrs. Maynards’ Photographic Gallery” in Victoria (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$325 CAD

 

347. MAYNARD, Richard
[Original Stereoview Photograph of the Craigdarroch Castle].

Ca. 1880s. A pair of gelatin silver prints ca. 8x16,5 cm (3 ¼ x 6 ½ in). Mounted on original card with the photographer’s printed copyright on recto and verso. A very good stereoview.
Richard Maynard (1832-1907), a noted B.C. photographer, opened a photo studio in Victoria in 1862. He took several trips around the Pacific Northwest which resulted in numerous photographs (Barkerville, Vancouver Island, Queen Charlotte Islands, the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea, Alaska, Canadian Rockies); he also prospected gold in the Fraser Canyon during the gold rush of 1858-59, and on the Stikine gold fields in 1862. His wife Hannah was also a photographer and owned “Mrs. Maynards’ Photographic Gallery” in Victoria (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 1).
$375 CAD

 

348. SHAKESPEARE, Noah
[Original Photograph Group Portrait of the Members of the First BC Legislative Assembly posing in from of the “Birdcages”, the first Legislative Building in Victoria].

Victoria, ca. 1874. Albumen print ca. 14,5x19,5 cm (5 ¾ x 7 ¾ in), mounted on original card; matted in a recent mat. Ink photographer’s stamp “N. Shakespeare” on verso. Photo slightly faded, with minor foxing, but overall a very good strong image of this important photo.
Historically important early group portrait of the members of the first Legislative Assembly of British Columbia – after BC's unification with the Dominion of Canada in 1871. The first Legislative Assembly acted from 20 November 1871 to 30 August 1875 and included 25 members. This photo shows 20 members of the Assembly (from left to right): Robert Beaven (1836-1920), John Ash (ca. 1821-1886), A. Rocke Robertson (1841-1881), John Paton Booth (ca. 1838-1902), James Robinson; Josiah Charles Hudges (1843-1886); Robert Smith; Charles Todd; John Robson (1824-1892); William Fraser Tolmie (1812-1886); William M. Brown (1838-1882); John Foster McCreight (1827-1913); George Anthony Walkem (1834-1908); William Smithe (1842-1887); John George Barnston (ca. 1838-1883); Charles Augustus Semlin (1836-1927); William Archibald Robertson (1832-1926); William James Armstrong (1826-1915); Simeon Duck (1834-1905), and James Trimble (ca. 1817-1885). The person in the background standing on the veranda is Legislature janitor George Williams (from the attribution on the base of an identical photo from UBC Special Collections).
The photo includes six Premiers of BC: John Foster McCreight (1st), John Anthony Walkem (3rd and 5th), Robert Beaven (6th), William Smithe (7th), John Robson (9th), Charles A. Semlin (12th); the first Speaker of the Legislative Assembly – James Trimble, the Mayor of Victoria – A. Rocke Robertson (1870) and others.
The photo is dated 1874, as some of the initially elected Legislature members had already been replaced by new ones: A. Bunster and A. De Cosmos (Victoria District) had been replaced with W.A. Robertson and W.F. Tolmie (Feb. 1874); T.B. Humphreys (Lillooet District) had been replaced with W.M. Brown, et al.
The BC politicians are shown in front of the Legislature, the so called “Birdcages”. Built in 1859 on the south side of James Bay, across downtown Victoria, it was replaced with the current Legislature in 1894. The answer to the question about the origin of the name of the first Legislature buildings can be found in the Victoria Gazette, which in the issue from 23 October 1859 wrote: "The first of the series of these structures, which resembles in its mixed style of architecture, the latest fashion of Chinese pagoda, Swiss-cottage and Italian Villa fancy birdcages" (see: Heritage BC Stops on-line).
The photographer, Noah Shakespeare (1839-1921) arrived to Victoria in 1863, until the late 1870s he ran his own photo gallery and worked for Amor de Cosmos at the Victoria Daily Standard. In 1875 he entered politics and in 1882 he became Mayor of Victoria and also a conservative member of the Canadian Parliament the same year (see more: Canadian Dictionary of Biography in-line).
$1250 CAD

 

349. VICTORIA BOOK & STATIONERY CO. LTD.
[Real Photo Postcard Showing Craigdarroch Castle while Occupied by Victoria College of Arts and Science]: Victoria College of Arts and Science.

Ca. late 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative; ink stamp of “Victoria Book & Stationary Co. Ltd., 1004 Government St., Victoria B.C.” on verso. A very good postcard.
Victoria Book & Stationery Co.” published postcards prior to 1918 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$85 CAD

 

350. [BC ELECTRIC RAILWAY COMPANY]
[Original Photograph Portrait of Conductors of the BC Electric Railway Company Taken in front of the Imperial Bank and the Company’s Ticket Office, Apparently, in Victoria].

Ca. 1911. Gelatin silver print ca. 12x17 cm (4 ¾ x 6 ½ in). Mounted on original card and recently matted. Pencil written date “1911” on the upper margin. A very good photo.
“BC Electric Railway Co. was an electrical utility and transit company incorporated on 15 Apr 1897. Francis S. Barnard, a local promoter, and Robert Horne-Payne, a British financier, organized the company using capital raised in England, and went on to take over street railway service in Victoria, Vancouver and New Westminster. As well as being the largest provider of electricity in the province, it expanded its urban rail lines dramatically before WWI, began building its own cars at a plant in New Westminster and also operated a network of interurban trains on the Saanich Peninsula, from Vancouver to Richmond and through the Fraser Valley as far as Chilliwack” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$325 CAD

 

351. [C.P.R. OFFICE]
[Real Photo Postcard Showing the Interior of a C.P.R. Office, Apparently in Victoria].

Ca. 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 ¼ x 5 ½ in). With address and note in ink, and with a Canadian postal stamp dated 1907 on verso. A very good postcard.
$225 CAD

 

352. [DOUGLAS STREET]
[Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Douglas Street].

Ca. 1910s-1920s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Two titled, one also signed in negative, one postcard with a printed title; one with the photographer’s ink stamp on verso. A very good collection.
1 postcard by Wright Porritt: Corner of Yates and Douglas Sts., Victoria, B.C.
1 postcard by F.G. Goodenough: View on Douglas St. North (with address and note in ink, and with a Victoria postal stamp dated 1928 on verso).
1 anonymous postcard: 386. Douglas Street, Victoria, B.C.
Wright Porritt was a Vancouver Island photographer active in New Alberni (1904, 1907-1910), Port Alberni (1911) and Bamfield (1913-1916) (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
Frederick G. Goodenough (ca. 1887 – ca. 1929) was a commercial photographer in Halifax; he relocated to Victoria after the 1917 explosion. By 1927 he operated under the name Commercial Photo Service & Portrait Studio” (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$375 CAD

 

353. [THE EMPRESS HOTEL]
[Collection of Six Real Photo Postcards of the Empress Hotel].

Ca. 1920s. Six gelatin silver prints ca. 8x13,5 cm (3 ¼ x 5 ¼ in). One titled in negative, four with printed titles. Two postcards with minor silvering on the margins, otherwise a very good collection.
4 postcards by the “Trio” studio: four different views of the interior of the Empress hotel.
2 anonymous postcards: Post Office, Belmont House and Empress Hotel, Victoria, B.C. (with address in pencil and a Vancouver postal stamp dated 1926 on verso); [The Empress Hotel] (unsigned).
Trio Photograph & Supply Co., operated by Ernest W. Crocker (1877-1968) was active in Victoria in 1908-1946 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$325 CAD

 

354. [GOVERNMENT HOUSE]
[Real Photo Postcard Showing the Second Building of the Government House of British Columbia, 1903-1957]: Government House, Victoria, B.C.

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 3/8 in). Titled in negative, with the stamp “Printed in Great Britain” on verso. A very good postcard.
$75 CAD

 

355. [HATLEY CASTLE]
[Real Photo Postcard Showing Hatley Castle in Colwood, Greater Victoria]: Hatley 66. Victoria, B.C.

1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ n). Titled in negative. A very good postcard.
Later pencil inscription on verso “Residence of Mr. James Dunsmuir.”
$85 CAD

 

356. [LEGISLATURE BUILDINGS]
[Original Photograph of the BC Legislature Buildings Taken from the Upper Floors of the Empress Hotel].

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 10,5x16,5 cm (4 ¼ x 6 ½ in). Recently matted. A very good photo.
The photo shows BC Legislature Buildings and the crossing of Government and Bellevue streets, with a part of the stone embankment of the Inner Harbour and the Strait of Juan de Fuca in distance; the details of the roof and towers of the Empress hotel are seen in the foreground.
$425 CAD

 

357. [ST. GEORGE’S SCHOOL]
[Real Photo Postcard Showing St. George’s School on Rockland Avenue]: St. George’s School. Rockland Ave, Vic.

1914. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative; with address and note in ink, and with Victoria and Salt Springs Island postal stamps dated 1914 on verso. A very good postcard.
$75 CAD

 

358. [ST. JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL]
[Real Photo Postcard Showing St. Joseph’s Hospital on Humboldt Street]: St. Joseph’s Hospital. Victoria, B.C. 383.

1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 ¼ x 5 3/8 in). Titled and numbered in negative. A very good postcard.
$95 CAD

 

359. [VICTORIA GOLF CLUB]
[Original Photograph of the Players on the Course of the Victoria Golf Club, Titled:] Golfing in British Columbia.

Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 18,5x24 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¼ in). Titled in ink on verso, recently matted. A very good photo.
Most likely by Leonard Frank this lively photo shows a group of golf players on the field of the Victoria Golf Club, the oldest golf course in Canada (modern location – 1110 Beach Drive). The photo was taken somewhere near the hole # 5. Gonzales Point, Oak Bay, showing the Trial Islands Lighthouse, waters of the Strait of Huan de Fuca and Washington’s Olympic Mountains in the background.
“Victoria Golf Club is valued for its role in the development and history of Oak Bay. The Club was founded in 1893, thirteen years before the municipality was incorporated, by the businessmen and merchants of Victoria. Most were British, had played the game at home, and considered a golf course to be a necessary component of an established community. At first they played on rough grazing land belonging to Joseph Despard Pemberton, the former Colonial Engineer and Surveyor; later they were granted a lease and formed the Victoria Golf Club. A streetcar service offering 'Golfers' Specials' brought players from Victoria. The Club and the popularity of the game grew, and in 1906 the land was purchased from the Pemberton estate. Since that time, the Club has grown to become an important recreational facility in Oak Bay, and is now considered a 'jewel among Canada's premium heritage golf clubs.' It is the oldest golf club in Canada still on its original site, and the oldest golf club in North America west of the Mississippi River” (Canada’s Historic Places online)
$425 CAD

 

360. [VICTORIA SNOWSTORM OF 1916]
[Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards and One Original Photo Showing the Victoria Snowstorm in January 1916].

Ca. 1916. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in) and one ca. 8x13 cm (3 1/8 x 5 1/8 in). One postcard titled and signed in negative, one with a manuscript title; three with the photographers’ ink stamps on verso. One postcard with the left lower corner creased, one with old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good collection.
2 postcards by Victoria Book & Stationery Co. Ltd.: Johnson St.; [Victoria Street cleaned after the snowstorm] (with adress and note in ink on verso).
1 postcard by B. Brown: Cor. Yates St. and Blanchard St. Jan. 1916 (old mount residue on verso).
1 postcard by J. Howard A. Chapman: [Cleaning Government Street after the Snowstorm] (with a pencil note on verso: “Victoria Snow Storm, Feby. 1916. Corner Government & Johnson”).
“Victoria Book & Stationery Co.” published postcards prior to 1918. B.Y. Brown was a Victoria photographer spesializing on postcards (see about both: “Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
“J. Howard Chapman arrived in Victoria from England in 1890. Initially, he worked as a travelling salesman, but between 1895 and 1912, he travelled and took photographs throughout B.C. From 1912 to 1936, he concentrated his photographic work on the people, places and events of Vancouver and Victoria” (MemoryBC.ca).
$275 CAD

 

361. [VICTORIA STREET CROWDS & PROCESSIONS]
[Collection of Five Real Photo Postcards Showing Street Crowds and Processions in Victoria].

Ca. 1910s. Five gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Two postcards titled and numbered in negative, one with the photographer’s ink stamp on verso. One postcard slightly faded, otherwise a very good collection.
1 postcard by Victoria Photographic Co.: [Military formation on a Victoria street].
3 anonymous postcards: [Peace Day, Victoria, Nov. 11th 1918] (with an ink note on verso); [Holiday Crowds on a Victoria Street]; Holiday Crowds Waiting for a Car, Victoria, B.C.; No. 244. Fire! Victoria, B.C. (with an ink note on verso). The note on the last postcard reads: “I saw this come round the corner on two wheels once. They have a splendid brigade here which is very often called out owing to the building being mostly of wood except the shops. This is the lower end of the main street, Government St.”
Operated by L.M. Forbes, Victoria Photographic Co. was active in 1914-1927, 1934 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$550 CAD

 

VANCOUVER ISLAND


ALERT BAY

362. [Collection of Four Original Stereoview Photographs of Alert Bay].
Ca. early 1900s. Four pairs of gelatin silver prints, each ca. 8x16 cm (3 1/8 x 6 ¼ in). All mounted on original cards and with period ink notes on versos. A very good collection.
The stereoviews show: Alert Bay; Thunder Bird Totems, Alert Bay; Alert Bay from steamer; Alert Bay Indians (from the ink notes on verso).
“Alert Bay, village, pop. 556 (2006), is on Cormorant Island off the northeast coast of Vancouver Island, about 290 km north of Vancouver. The area was a seasonal gathering place for the Namgis (Nimpkish), a Kwakwaka'wakw nation, when it was named for the British warship HMS Alert, which was engaged on a naval survey of the coast. In 1870 A.W. Huson and his partners built a store and a saltery for preserving salmon. They encouraged Rev A.J. Hall to relocate his mission from Fort Rupert in order to encourage their aboriginal labour force to settle permanently near the saltery. Rev Hall arrived in 1880 and the Namgis moved their village from the mouth of the Nimpkish R. Soon there was a sawmill, a hospital, St Michael's residential school, a salmon cannery and the headquarters of the government Indian agency. There is a reserve, the U'mista Cultural Centre and a notable collection of totem poles, one of which at 53 m is the world's tallest” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$975 CAD

 

363. [Collection of Seven Real Photo Postcards of Alert Bay].
Ca. 1910s. Seven gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). All titled and signed “HH” in negative. A very good collection.
The postcards show: Totem Pole, Alert Bay, B.C. (five different views); Alert Bay, B.C. from Wireless Hill; Indian Tombstone, Alert Bay, B.C.
$675 CAD

 

364. [Collection of Nine Real Photo Postcards of Alert Bay].
Ca. 1920s. Nine gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All titled, three also signed in negative. One postcard with a minor crease, several slightly faded, otherwise a very good collection.
1 postcard by G. M. Taylor. Totem Poles, Alert Bay (with the photographer’s printed copyright on verso)
3 postcards by other photographers: Indian Totems. Alert Bay, B.C. (signed “E.T.” in negative); Grave at Alert Bay, B.C. (signed “1291 RMP” in negative); Indian Village. Alert Bay, B.C. (signed in negative, illegible).
5 anonymous postcards: Totem. Alert Bay, B.C.; Totem at Alert Bay, B.C.; Indian Village. Alert Bay, B.C.; Totem Pole, Alert Bay, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Prince Rupert postal stamp dated 1920 on verso); Indian Village. Alert Bay, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Vancouver postal stamp dated 1923 on verso).
Gilbert Morris Taylor (1894 – after 1948) was a Western Canadian photographer who spesialized in postcards and worked in Atlin (1924-1932) and Jasper (1930-1948) (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$575 CAD

 

BEAR CREEK TRESTLE BRIDGE

365. [Original Photograph of the Bear Creek Trestle Bridge, San Juan Valley].
Ca. 1952. Gelatin silver print ca. 23x18 cm (9x7 in). Pencil note “Dec. 31, 1952. Bear Creek Bridge, B.C.” on verso. A very good photo.
Bear Creek Trestle was constructed in 1939 by the Malahat Logging Company, as a part of its industrial railway in the San Juan Valley. The railway extended from the company’s beach camp [present Port Renfrew townsite], extending 22 km/13.6 miles to beyond the Bear Creek Valley, and followed much the same route as the Red Creek Main Line. <…> Standing 242 feet high and spanning 517 feet across, the bridge was, in those days, the highest wooden trestle in the world” (Malahat Logging/ Port Renfrew Online). By 1957 the railway logging in the valley was gradually replaced by the truck operations.
$150 CAD

 

BRENTWOOD BAY

366. [DAVIDSON, H.C.]
[Original Photograph, Titled in Pencil on Verso:] Brentwood Bay for Tyee and Cohoe Salmon. Victoria, B.C. Oct. 1929.

Ca. 1929. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x24 cm (7 ½ x 9 ¼ in). With period ink and pencil notes on verso. Recently matted. A very good photo.
“Brentwood Bay, pop. 6,472, is on the east side of Saanich Inlet, north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. It was named for a village in Essex, England, home of the president of the BC Electric Rwy. Co., which operated the Saanich interurban line and maintained a powerhouse here. Early settlements in the area, all with post offices by the 1890s, were known as Sluggett, Hagan and Heal. John Sluggett settled immediately east of Brentwood Bay in the 1870s; James Hagan took up land just to the north, Fred Heal just to the south. A ferry crosses the inlet to Mill Bay and Butchart Gardens is nearby” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$250 CAD

 

CAMPBELL RIVER

367. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Campbell River].
Ca. 1910s-1920s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Two titled in negative. Overall a very good collection.
“Willows Hotel.” Campbell River, B.C.; Hospital. Campbell River, B.C.; [Campbell River, grave] (from the pencil note verso).
“Campbell River is about halfway up the east coast of Vancouver Island at the top of Georgia Strait, 152 km north of Nanaimo via the Island Hwy. It is the sport fishing capital of BC, famous for its Tyee. There is also excellent freshwater fishing in area lakes and streams. The mouth of the Campbell River has been occupied by aboriginal people for thousands of years, most recently the Kwakwaka'wakw (Kwakiutl). Non-native settlement began in the early 1880s. Charles and Fred Thulin came over from Lund in 1904, bought what is now downtown Campbell River and opened a store and the Willows Hotel, a coastal landmark until it burned in 1963. Loggers also arrived early in the 20th century and the forest industry has been a mainstay of the local economy ever since” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$195 CAD

 

CAPE BEALE

368. DAVIDSON, H.C.
[Original Photograph of the Area next to the Cape Beale Light Station, West Coast of Vancouver Island].

Ca. 1926. Gelatin silver print ca. 12,5x18 cm (5x7 in), recently matted. Photographer’s ink stamp “H.C. Davidson, Commercial Photographer, 905 Pike St., Seattle,” ink stamp “Apr. 29 1926” and several pencil and ink inscriptions on verso. A very good photo.
Cape Beale is located on the southeast entrance to Barkley Sound, west coast of Vancouver Island. The Cape Beale lighthouse built here in 1874 became the first one on the treacherous west coast of Vancouver Island, a part of the area known as the Graveyard of the Pacific.
$250 CAD

 

CLAYOQUOT

369. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Dawley Hotel, Clayoquot, B.C.
Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ¼ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative; with an extensive ink note (apparently in Swedish) on verso. A very good postcard.
“Clayoquot, on Stubbs Island in Clayoquot Sound, 2 km northwest of Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island, was the sound's commercial centre for many years. William E. Banfield, after whom Bamfield is named, built a fur-trading post here in 1855. Another store was run by Frederick Thornberg from 1874 to 1885. By the 1890s several businesses operated, as well as a hotel, school and post office. In the 20th century, the village gradually lost ground to Tofino; eventually, only the hotel remained. Most of it was demolished in the early 1990s” (The Encyclopedia of BC). The Stubbs Island is now a privately owned Clayoquot Island Preserve.
$125 CAD

 

COMOX

370. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Comox and Sandwick].
Ca. early 1900s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Two titled in negative. Overall a very good collection.
[A view of Port Augusta Hotel in Comox. J.B. Holmes, Prop.]; Comox, B.C. (with an ink note on verso); St. Andrew’s. Sandwick, B.C. (with an ink note on verso “A momento of Comox. Dec. 21st, 1909”).
“Comox, town, pop 12,136 (2006), overlooks Georgia Strait on the east side of Vancouver Island, 4 km east along Comox Harbour from Courtenay. The site was used by the Royal Navy as a training location from the 1850s. Farm settlement began in 1862; the construction of a wharf in 1874 brought steamer traffic and the development of a small community. It grew as a service centre for the Comox Valley and incorporated on 14 Jan 1946. Comox became a bedroom suburb of Courtenay and attracted a number of retired people” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$275 CAD

 

COURTENAY

371. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Courtenay].
Ca. 1910s-1920s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 3/8 in). All titled in negative. One postcard with a minor damage to the surface on the top margin, otherwise a very good collection.
1 postcard by Gowen, Sutton Co. Ltd.: Courtenay, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Courtenay postal stamp dated 1928 on verso; minor damage to the surface).
2 anonymous postcards: The Glacier. Courtenay, B.C.; The Riverside Hotel, Courtenay, B.C.
“Courtenay, city, pop. 21,940 (2006), the commercial centre of the Comox Valley, lies on a low plain on the east side of Vancouver Island, 220 km north of Victoria. It is named for Capt. George W. Courtenay of the British navy. Laid out as a townsite in 1891, it was incorporated on 1 Jan 1915. In the 1850s the HBC opened a store, and permanent settlement began in the 1860s. Two of the earliest settlers were Reginald Pidcock, who later owned most of Quathiaski Cove, and Joseph McPhee. The road from Victoria arrived in 1910 and since 1914 the city has been the northern terminus of the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$165 CAD

 

COWICHAN BAY

372. [DAVIDSON, H.C.]
[Original Photograph, Titled in Pencil on Verso:] View of Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C. A Famous Salmon Fishing Waters. Oct. 1929.

Ca. 1929. Gelatin silver print ca. 19x24 cm (7 ½ x 9 ¼ in). With period ink and pencil notes on verso. Recently matted. A very good photo.
Additional small ink caption on verso says “[illegible] grounds. Cowichan Bay”.
$250 CAD

 

373. [Real Photo Postcard, Titled:] Buena Vista Hotel, Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Id.
Ca. 1909. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 ¼ x 5 3/8 in). Titled in ink on the upper margin. With address and note in ink, and with a Nanaimo postal stamp dated 1909 on verso. A very good postcard.
“Cowichan Bay, pop. 1,288, at the mouth of the Cowichan R. on the east coast of Vancouver Island south of Duncan, was a traditional gathering place for the Cowichan First Nation. The first white settlers arrived in the late 1850s. Along with agriculture, logging and fishing have been important to the economy. The CNR operated a railway car barge to the mainland from here for many years. The S. Cowichan Lawn Tennis Club, founded in 1888, is the second oldest lawn tennis club in the world after the All England Club at Wimbledon. For many years it had the only public grass courts on the west coast of the continent; its facilities are now a BC heritage site” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$75 CAD

 

CROFTON

374. [Collection of Six Real Photo Postcards of Crofton].
Ca. early 1900s. Six gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All titled in negative. Overall a very good collection.
Crofton, B.C. (three different views, one with address in ink and a Crofton postal stamp on verso); Main street, Crofton, B.C.; Smelter, Crofton, B.C.; View from Hotel Porch. Crofton, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a postal stamp dated 1906 on verso). The note on verso of the last postcard reads: “The Dunnes’ house is away to the left beyond the trees, & is well out of the way of the lights, sounds & smells of Crofton…”
“Crofton, pop. 1,092, overlooks Osborne Bay on the east coast of Vancouver Island 74 km north of Victoria. An instant community, it got its start in 1902 as the townsite for a copper smelter processing ore from nearby Mt. Sicker. Named for Henry Croft, owner of one of the mines, it languished when the smelter closed in 1908, and the advent of WWI put an end to plans to construct a large sawmill” (The Encylopedia of BC).
$575 CAD

 

CUMBERLAND, COMOX VALLEY

375. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Post Office, Cumberland, B.C.
Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative; with address and note in pencil, and with a Comox postal stamp dated 1916 on verso. Right upper corner creased, otherwise a very good postcard.
“Cumberland, village, pop. 2,762 (2006), is located on the east side of Vancouver Island near Comox Lake, 6 km south of Courtenay. It was founded in 1888 by Robert Dunsmuir in the middle of a rich coal mining district. The original townsite was called Union Camp; a newly developed area, named Cumberland after the English county, became the overall name in 1898. In its heyday (1900–14) Cumberland had a mixed population of Japanese, Black, Italian, Slavic and British miners and the fifth largest Chinatown in BC. It was a centre of a bitter coal mine strike during 1912-14. Production fell as markets diminished during the 1920s and the last of its mines closed in 1966” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$95 CAD

 

DUNCAN

376. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Duncan].
Ca. 1910-1920s. Three gelatin silver prints 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All titled in negative. A very good collection.
Duncan, V.I. B.C. (with the blind stamp of the Duncan Pharmacy and photographer’s signature in negative in the left lower corner; with address and note in ink, and with a Westholm postal stamp dated 1913 on verso); Duncan, B.C. [showing Station Street]; Duncan, B.C. (with an ink note “May 1920” on verso).
“Duncan, city, pop. 4,986 (2006), lies in the Cowichan Valley on the east side of VANCOUVER ISLAND about halfway between Victoria and Nanaimo. In 1864 William Chalmers Duncan, a native of Sarnia, ON, settled on 40 ha of land near Cowichan Bay, most of which now comprises downtown Duncan. In 1887 the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy. built a station on his land and a village named Alderlea developed around it. When a post office opened in 1891 it was called Duncan's Station, later shortened to Duncan. Between 1898 and 1908 there was a flurry of mining activity at nearby Mt. Sicker and the community boomed. It was incorporated as a city on 4 Mar 1912, when it separated from the district of North Cowichan. Once described as "the Most English Town in Canada," it had a preponderance of British residents who felt strong ties to the old country. When WWI began, so many young men enlisted for overseas service that Duncan earned a reputation for contributing more soldiers per capita to the war than any other community in Canada” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$275 CAD

 

377. [Original Photograph of the Public School House in Duncan].
Ca. 1910. Gelatin silver print ca. 12,5x17,5 cm (5x7 in). Period ink note “Public School, Duncan, 1910” on verso. Mounted on original card and recently matted. Minor foxing, but overall a very good photo.
$325 CAD

 

GANGES, SALT SPRING ISLAND

378. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Wharf at Ganges, B.C.
Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative, with an extensive pencil note (apparently in Swedish) on verso. One corner creased, the tip of the other corner missing, otherwise a very good postcard.
“Ganges, the largest community in the Gulf Islands, is on Saltspring Island overlooking Ganges Harbour. It is the Gulf Islands' primary service centre and in 1999 had their only hospital, high school and courthouse. The community is named for HMS Ganges, a British naval vessel stationed on the coast from 1857 to 1860” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$50 CAD

 

GREAT CENTRAL LAKE

379. CLEGG, Joseph
[Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Grt. Central Lake, V.I.

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 3/8 in). Titled in white ink in the left lower corner. Photographer’s ink stamp on verso. A very good postcard.
“Great Central Lake, 53.76 sq km, is a deep, narrow, sinuous lake surrounded by mountains northwest of Port Alberni on Vancouver Island. It drains via the Stamp and Somass rivers into the top of Alberni Inlet. Logging began in the 1860s to supply sawmills at Port Alberni, then expanded dramatically in the 1920s with the arrival of a branch line of the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy. Bloedel, Stewart & Welch ran a sawmill and large logging camp at the lake from 1926 to 1952” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Joseph Clegg (1875-1961) was a Port Alberni photographer who specialized in postcards and was active in the 1910s-1940s. “Due to ill health, he immigrated with his family to Vancouver Island and settled in (Port) Alberni. In 1920 he was the senior partner in Clegg & Collinge. He operated under the name Clegg Studio and Clegg's Studio. Clegg sold his business in 1945” (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$50 CAD

 

HOEYA HEAD (ALERT BAY)

380. [Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards showing Area around Hoeya Head, near Alert Bay].
Ca. early 1900s. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 ½ x 5 3/8 in). Both with ink notes on verso. A very good pair.
The postcards show (from the ink notes on verso): Teddy’s house in Hoeye; Land Beach at Hoeye with Teddy, his Uncle, Brother in Law & niece, and dogs.
“Hoeya Sound is a small sound or bay on the north side of Knight Inlet on the Central Coast of British Columbia, Canada, just east of Lull Bay. The Kwakwaka'wakw villages of igisbalis and Nalakglala were located on the sound, the former just behind Hoeya Head, the point on the south side of the entrance to the sound, the latter at its head” (Wikipedia).
$95 CAD

 

LADYSMITH

381. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Ladysmith].
Ca. early 1900s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All titled in negative. A very good collection.
First Ave. Ladysmith, B.C.; Coaling wharf, Ladysmith, B.C. (with an ink note “A. Skeda” on verso); Ladysmith, B.C. (with address in ink and a Ladysmith postal stamp dated 1907 on verso).
“Ladysmith, town, pop 7,538 (2006), overlooks Oyster Harbour on the east coast of Vancouver Island halfway between Duncan and Nanaimo. It was founded in 1901 by Premier James Dunsmuir as a residential suburb for workers at his coal mine at Extension, 11 km north. It was also a shipping port for coal. It was named for the town in S. Africa that was relieved by the British after a long siege during the Boer War; this event occurred while the townsite was being developed and many streets are named for British generals who took part. The town was incorporated on 3 June 1904. The mine closed in 1931 but the town rebounded later in the decade as a Logging and milling centre” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$375 CAD

 

MALAHAT DRIVE

382. [DAVIDSON, H.C.]
[Original Photograph of Malahat Mountain Drive North of Victoria, B.C.].

Ca. 1932. Gelatin silver print ca. 25x19,5 cm (10 x 7 ¾ in), recently matted. With an ink stamp “Sep. 25 1932,” typewritten text and a pencil note on verso. A very good photo.
Typewritten note: “Malahat Mountain Drive, Victoria, British Columbia. View of the Malahat Mountain Drive running north from Victoria up Vancouver Islands. This drive rises to over 1250 feet above sea level, and from the summit a wonderful panoramic view of sea, wooded islands and snow-crowned mountains on the horizon is obtained”.
Red pencil note: “Resorts – Vancouver Island”.
$250 CAD

 

383. [DAVIDSON, H.C.]
[Original Photograph of a Man Fishing in a Stream of Vancouver Island].

Ca. 1932. Gelatin silver print ca. 25x19,5 cm (10 x 7 ¾ in), recently matted. With an ink stamp “Sep. 25 1932,” typewritten text and two pencil and ink inscriptions on verso. Image apparently has been heightened in white; overall a very good photo.
Typewritten note: “Owing to its topography there are probably more rivers, lakes and streams on Vancouver Island than in any other country of the same area. Practically all the waters of Vancouver Island contain trout of one kind or another, chiefly rainbow, steelhead and cutthroat. As a rule the larger fish are taken in the lakes either on a troll or fly, but fish running from two to three pounds are also taken in all the main rivers and streams. In the head of mid-summer, when the rivers are low and fly fishing is hardly practical, good sport is given by sea trout in the estuaries. These sea-run cutthroat average from two to three pounds and sometimes rise to four or even six pounds. As a rule they take a fly, even in the salt water. The best fishing seasons are from first of May to end of June and then after the fall freshets early in September and October”.
Red pencil note: “Resorts – Vancouver Island”.
$250 CAD

 

384. TRIO STUDIO
[Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards, Titled:] Malahat Drive, at the Lookout, V.I.; “The Malahat Drive”, Victoria, V.I.

Ca. 1920s. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ¼ in). Both with printed titles on the lower margins, one with the photographer’s ink stamp on verso. A very good pair.
Trio Photograph & Supply Co., operated by Ernest W. Crocker (1877-1968) was active in Victoria in 1908-1946 (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
“Malahat Drive is a 16-km stretch of the Island Hwy (part of the Trans-Canada Hwy.) across Malahat Mt. on Vancouver Island. It begins at Goldstream Provincial Park about 20 km north of Victoria. Originally a trail made in 1862 for driving livestock, it was improved to a wagon road 2 years later and then paved in 1911. The summit, 31 km north of Victoria, offers splendid views of Saanich Inlet. The local Salish people know the summit as Yos and consider it a sacred site” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$85 CAD

 

NANAIMO

385. JOYNER, James Arthur
[Original Photograph of the Crescent Hotel, Nanaimo].

Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 18,5x24,5 cm (7 ¼ x 9 ¾ in), mounted on the original photographers’ card with stamped text “J.A. Joyner, Nanaimo B.C.” on the mount. Mount slightly rubbed on extremities, but the photo is in very good condition.
Nanaimo/1910-1922; Vancouver/1924. In 1924 he was a photographer with the Dominion Photo Co. (Camera Workers…)
$425 CAD

 

386. ROWAN PHOTO
[Original Photograph of the Nanaimo Opera House].

Ca. 1900. Gelatin silver print ca. 16,5x21,5 cm (6 ½ x 8 ½ in). Mounted on the period card and signed in white ink “Rowan Photo, Nanaimo, B.C.” on the mount. Recently matted. Minor ink stain on the upper margin, otherwise a very good photo.
The Nanaimo Opera House was built in 1889, housing a hotel, the opera house and the Nanaimo Brewing Company. The building was demolished in 1941, the site now is occupied by the Best Western Dorchester hotel. The Nanaimo Opera House "had gas lights, five backdrop screens that could be interchanged produced by a big company in Chicago, it sat 750-800 people with lodges, it had an orchestra pit, and was built for $40,000. It hosted some of the largest productions that visited the coast, including the New York Metropolitan Opera." (Gorman, T. Heritage Buildings: If these walls could talk// Nanaimo News Bulletin online, Jun 10, 2012).
$475 CAD

 

387. TIMMS PHOTOGRAPHIC CO.
[Real Photo Postcard Titled:] 277. Our Water Front. Nanaimo, B.C.

Ca. early 1900s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8x14 cm (3 ¼ x 5 ½ in). Printed stamp of the photographer and ink stamp “Bank of Nova Scotia, Victoria, B.C.” on verso. A very good postcard.
Philip Thomas Timms (1874-1973) “moved to Vancouver at the age of 24 in 1898 from Toronto and started in business as a picture framer. In an oral history interview late in life, Timms said he worked with S.J. Thompson. He achieved fame after the turn of the century as a photographer of street scenes in Vancouver” (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$150 CAD

 

388. [Collection of Eleven Real Photo Postcards of Nanaimo].
Ca. 1900-1910s. Eleven gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ¼ x 5 ½ in). All but one titled in negative. One postcard with a crease, otherwise a very good collection.
7 postcards by Howard King (with the photographer’s ink stamp on verso): Nanaimo-2; Nanaimo-3; [View of the Bastion Tower]; New ferry landing at Nanaimo (with address and note in ink, and with a Nanaimo postal stamp dated 1908 on verso); View from top of central school, Nanaimo (with address and note in ink, and with a Nanaimo postal stamp on verso); At the wharves, Nanaimo (with address and note in pencil, and with a Nanaimo postal stamp dated 1907 on verso); Nanaimo view looking west (with address in pencil and with a Nanaimo postal stamp dated 1907 on verso).
4 anonymous postcards: Commercial Inlet. Nanaimo; Bastion St. Nanaimo (with an ink note on verso: “This shows the Bastion or old Hudson’s Bay Co’s Fort built when they were fighting the indians. It’s the only one left standing in B.C.”); [Horse carriages on a street in Nanaimo] (with address in pencil and with a Vancouver postal stamp dated ca. 1908 on verso); Commercial St. Nanaimo.
$1050 CAD

 

389. [Collection of Two Original Photograph Panoramas of Nanaimo Taken from the Harbour].
Ca. 1950. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 18x23 cm (7x9 in). Both unsigned, with the pencil notes “June 11, 1950” on verso. A very good pair.
$275 CAD

 

390. [Original Photograph Showing Staff posing at the Storefront of a General Store in Nanaimo, most likely at Victoria Rd & Kennedy St.].
Ca. 1900s. Albumen print ca. 12x17 cm (4 7/8 x 6 ½ in), unsigned. With minor staining, but overall a very good photo.
$250 CAD

 

NOOTKA

391. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Nootka, West Coast B.C.
Ca. 1929. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in ink on the lower margin; with address and note in ink, and with Port Alice and Sidney postal stamps dated 1929 on verso. Slightly faded, but overall a very good postcard.
“Nootka Sound is one of 5 major sounds indenting the west coast of Vancouver Island. Capt. James COOK named it after what he mistakenly believed the local people called it. Cook, who arrived with 2 ships in 1778, was the first European in the sound. One result of his visit was the beginning of a trade in sea otter pelts; another was a diplomatic squabble between England and Spain over competing claims to the coast. The sound was home to the Mowachaht and Muchalaht, two Nuu-Chah-Nulth groups, whose village at YUQUOT has been inhabited for thousands of years. Following contact, and the subsequent depopulation due to disease, the Muchalaht merged with the Mowachaht, then relocated to a reserve near Gold River. Later they were called the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation. The sound, with its spectacular mountain scenery, has 3 main arms that penetrate inland: Tahsis, Tlupana and Muchalat inlets. A salmon cannery operated on Nootka Island (526 sq km) until the 1950s and a limestone quarry up Tlupana Inlet provided material for the legislative buildings in Victoria, but logging was the main economic activity starting in the 1930s.” (The Encyclopedia of BC)
$95 CAD

 

PORT HARDY

392. GOWEN SUTTON CO. LTD.
[Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Port Hardy.

Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative. A very good postcard.
“Port Hardy, district municipality, pop 4,574 (2001), is located at the north end of Vancouver Island, 504 km from Victoria. It is named for a British naval hero, Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy, the captain of the HMS Victory, who comforted Lord Nelson as he died during the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The first white settlers, Alec Lyons and his wife Sarah Hunt, arrived in 1904 and opened a store. There was a short-lived land boom in 1912, promoted by a fraudulent land company, but growth was slow until the opening of the Island Copper Mine in 1969” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$65 CAD

 

PORT ALBERNI

393. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Port Alberni].
Ca. 1900s-1910s. Three gelatin silver prints 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 3/8 in). One titled in negative; one with an ink stamped and one with a printed title. One postcard with minor old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good collection.
2 postcards by Leonard Frank (with the photographer’s printed stamps on verso): Alberni, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Beaver Creek postal stamp dated 1908 on verso); [Portrait of a Logger posing next to Gigantic logs; Titled:] Vancouver Island Fir (with an ink note on verso dated Dec. 31st, 1911).
1 postcard by J. Clegg: Argyle St. Port Alberni, B.C. (with old mount residue on verso).
“Port Alberni, city, pop 17,548 (2006), lies at the head of Alberni Inlet on Vancouver Island, 80 km west of Nanaimo. The site was occupied by the Tseshaht nation of the Nuu-Chah-Nulth (Nootka) before the arrival of the first loggers in 1860. BC's first export sawmill, owned by British business interests, went into production in 1861. When the mill closed at the end of 1864, the tiny settlement dwindled but it began to revive with the arrival of farm settlers in the 1880s. Mining was also important in the early days. In 1886 a road opened to Nanaimo and the townsite of Alberni was laid out. Later another site, New Alberni or Stamp Harbour, developed farther south on the east side of the inlet and came to be called Port Alberni. With the arrival of the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy. in 1911, both sites incorporated as cities, Port Alberni on 12 Mar 1912 and Alberni on 1 Jan 1913. In Mar 1964 the communities sustained $10 million damages from a tsunami, caused by an Alaskan earthquake, which swept up the inlet and destroyed many buildings” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$325 CAD

 

PORT WASHINGTON, NORTH PENDER ISLAND

394. [Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards of Port Washington].
Ca. 1920s. Two gelatin silver prints 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Both titled in negative. One postcard with a mild crease, otherwise a very good collection.
1 postcard by Gowen, Sutton Co. Ltd.: Port Washington, B.C.

1 anonymous postcard: Port Washington, B.C. (with address and note in ink, and with a Port Washington postal stamp dated 1925 on verso).
“Pender Islands, North and South, 34 sq. km, are 2 of the Gulf Islands in Georgia Strait between southern Vancouver Island and the mainland. They were once joined by a neck of land called the Indian Portage. Construction of a canal through this land bridge in 1911 separated the islands until a highway bridge rejoined them in 1955. Most of the 1,935 permanent residents live on N. Pender; from the terminal at Otter Bay, ferries travel to both Vancouver Island and Tsawwassen. Port Washington, Hope Bay and Port Browning are the centres of settlement. Bedwell Harbour, where many S. Pender residents live, has a resort and marina and is a Canada Customs port of entry. The islands are named for Daniel Pender, an officer in the Royal Navy engaged in coastal surveys from 1857 to 1870” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$95 CAD

 

QUALICUM BEACH

395. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Qualicum Inn, Qualicum Beach, V.I. B.C.
Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 ½ x 5 3/8 in). Titled in negative; with address and note in ink, and with a Qualicum Beach postal stamp on verso. A very good postcard.
“Qualicum Beach, town, pop 8,502 (2006), is a retirement/resort community on the east side of Vancouver Island, 47 km north of Nanaimo. The earliest settlers arrived at the mouth of the Little Qualicum R. in the 1880s and in 1894 the wagon road arrived from Nanaimo. A village was laid out in 1910, though it was not incorporated until 1942. The community took advantage of its fine climate, sandy beaches and excellent sport fishing to develop as a resort. The most notable tourist facility was the luxurious Qualicum Beach Hotel, built in 1913, and neighbouring golf course, which attracted celebrity visitors from around the world until it closed in 1969” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$50 CAD

 

ROCK BAY - now abandoned

396. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Rock Bay, B.C.
Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). With a printed title; with address and note in ink, and with Elora and Wiarton postal stamps on verso. A very good postcard.
“Rock Bay, on the east side of Vancouver Island on Johnstone Strait, about 40 km north of Campbell River, was the site of an important logging camp that operated from about 1900 to the 1940s. The camp, consisting at one point of accommodations for hundreds of loggers, a store, hotel and saloon, originally belonged to BC Mills Timber & Trading Co., then after 1922 to Merrill Ring & Wilson. The Columbia Coast Mission operated a hospital in the bay from 1905 to 1945. Forest industry activities relocated in the 1940s and the community was abandoned” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$85 CAD

 

SIDNEY

397. [DAVIDSON, H.C.]
[Original Photograph of Vicinity of Sidney, Titled in Pencil on Verso:] Rest Haven, Sidney, near Victoria.

Ca. 1922. Gelatin silver print ca. 18x23,5 cm (7 x 9 ¼ in). With period ink and pencil notes and two ink stamps “Jul 13, 1922” on verso. Recently matted. A very good photo.
“Sidney, town, pop 11,315 (2006), looks east across Haro Strait near the top of the Saanich Peninsula, 26 km north of Victoria, 8 km south of the Swartz Bay ferry terminal, in the district municipality of North Saanich. Salish-speaking people first occupied the area. It is named for nearby Sidney Island, which was named in 1859 by a naval survey after Lt. Frederick William Sidney, a hydrographer in the British Admiralty. Settlement began in the 1880s and in 1891 the township was incorporated by the Brethour brothers, a family of pioneer settlers. Once the land was logged, the mild climate and fertile soil made farming, particularly fruit and produce, a thriving activity. Sidney became the northern terminus of the Victoria & Sidney Rwy. in 1895 and several industries followed, including canning, sawmilling and brick-making from local clay deposits. A major fire in the 1920s wiped out much of the early industry” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$275 CAD

 

SOINTULA

398. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Sointula, B.C.
Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative. Image slightly faded, otherwise a very good postcard.
“Sointula, pop 646, is on Malcolm Island, off the east coast of Vancouver Island opposite Port Mcneill. It was established in 1901 by a party of Finnish socialist utopians led by the journalist and idealist Matti Kurikka. The Finns formed the Kalevan Kansa Colonization Co. Ltd, which received the island as a grant from the provincial government in return for promises to make improvements. The bulk of the settlers arrived in 1902. Sointula is Finnish for "harmony." The utopian commune attracted about 2,000 people during the 4 years of its existence; they published the first printed Finnish-language newspaper in Canada and distributed it worldwide. The commune collapsed in 1905 but many of the settlers remained, making their living in trapping, agriculture, logging and commercial fishing” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$65 CAD

 

SOMENOS

399. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Somenos, B.C.
Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative, with address and note in ink dated 1912 on verso. Blind stamp of the Duncan Pharmacy on the lower margin. A very good postcard.
“Somenos, 50 km north of Victoria on the Island Hwy and the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy., is a Vancouver Island farming district near Somenos Lake. Somenos Marsh is an important nesting and wintering refuge for waterfowl. The name is a Cowichan word and refers to the "resting places" where paddlers on the Cowichan R. could take a break” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$75 CAD

 

SOOKE HARBOUR

400. DOBSON, A.H.
[Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Sooke Harbour Hotel.

Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled and signed (typewritten) on the lower margin. A very good postcard.
“Sooke, district municipality, pop. 9,704 (2006), is a logging and fishing community overlooking Sooke Harbour on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island, 25 km west of Victoria. It was originally inhabited by the T'sou-ke, a group of Northern Straits people. In 1849 Walter Grant established a small colony of settlers along the Sooke Basin, the first white settlers on the Island independent of the HBC. These pioneers were followed by John Muir, who established his farm, Woodside, in the early 1850s. Sooke was the site of the first steam sawmill in BC. In 1864 there was a short-lived gold rush to nearby Leech River” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$85 CAD

 

UNION BAY, COMOX VALLEY

401. [Collection of Two Real Photo Postcards of Union Bay, Comox Valley].
Ca. 1910s. Two gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x13,5 cm (3 3/8 x 5 3/8 in). Both titled in negative. A very good pair.
1 postcard by the King Studio: Cooke Ovens & Shops. Union Bay, B.C. (signed in negative).
1 anonymous postcard: Wilson Hotel. Union Bay, B.C.
“Union Bay, pop 1,167, on Baynes Sound south of Courtenay on Vancouver Island, was the site of a large deep-sea loading dock constructed in 1889 by the Dunsmuir's Union Colliery Co. It was the terminus for an 18-km rail line from the company's coal mines at Cumberland, and had coke ovens, a brickyard and the largest wharf in BC. The mines went into decline after WWII and the wharf complex was demolished in 1966. Several buildings from the original settlement have been restored” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$175 CAD

 

VANCOUVER ISLAND

402. [Original Stereoview Photograph of a Public Building on Vancouver Island, with a Girl Posing in front].
Ca. 1890s. A pair of albumen prints ca. 8,5x15,5 cm (3 ¼ x 6 ¼ in). Mounted on original card. The mount slightly soiled, but overall a very good stereoview.
$225 CAD

 

INSIDE PASSAGE & SOUTHERN BC COAST


HOWE SOUND

403. [Original Photograph Panorama of Howe Sound, Britannia Range and Gambier Island taken from Hopkins Landing near Gibsons, Sunshine Coast].
Ca. 1910s. Gelatin silver print ca. 7x24 cm (2 ¾ x 9 ½ in). Titled and signed in negative, recently matted. Image slightly faded on the extreme right margin, otherwise a very good photo.
“Two other early settlers of the Gibsons area were Irishman George Henderson Hopkins, who bought a 160-acre site in 1906 that later became Hopkins Landing, and F. C. Grantham, a Vancouver businessman, who built a summer cabin on an 800-foot stretch of waterfront in 1909. He added roads, a water system, a floating wharf, plank sidewalks and 25 cabins on the beach, attracting boat loads of summer vacationers. He called his resort Howe Sound Beach, but after a government wharf was built there, it came to be known as Grantham's Landing. The locals sold much of their farm and dairy produce to the resort” (Sunshine Coast Museum & Archives online).
$350 CAD

 

PENDER HARBOUR

404. GOWEN SUTTON CO. LTD.
[Real Photo Postcard Titled:] The Lodge and Store, Pender Harbour, B.C.

Ca. 1930s. Gelatin silver print ca. 9x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative. A very good postcard.
“Pender Harbour, pop 2,500, is a jumble of islands, bays and lagoons on the Sunshine Coast north of Sechelt. It contains the small communities of Garden Bay, Irvines Landing, Kleindale and Madeira Park. It was charted in 1860 by the British Admiralty and named for Daniel Pender, who surveyed the coast with great zeal from 1857 to 1870 as master of the ships Plumper, Hecate and Beaver. Prior to the smallpox epidemic of 1862, the harbour was densely populated each winter by people of the Sechelt First Nation. Settled after 1900 as a logging and commercial fishing centre, it now attracts a growing number of retirees and vacationers” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$45 CAD

 

POWELL RIVER

405. [Collection of Three Real Photo Postcards of Powell River].
Ca. 1920s. Three gelatin silver prints ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ in). All titled in negative. One postcard with old mount residue on verso, otherwise a very good collection.
1 postcard by Gowen, Sutton Co. Ltd.: Paper Mill, Powell River, B.C.

2 anonymous postcards: Powell River; The Paper Mill, Powell River, B.C.
“Powell River, city, pop/ 12,957 (2006), is located on the mainland coast 130 km north of Vancouver. (The population of the surrounding regional district is 19,765.) It is named for Israel Wood Powell, who was superintendent of Indian Affairs when he visited the area aboard the Royal Navy vessel HMS Rocket. Loggers established camps in the area in the 1880s and a pulp and paper mill was constructed between 1910 and 1912 by the Brooks, Scanlon & O'Brien Co. The townsite grew up around the mill, which was owned by the Powell River Co. until 1960, when it merged with Macmillan Bloedel Ltd. At one time it was the world's largest paper mill, with a work force of more than 2,000” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
Gowen Sutton Co. Ltd. was formed by a famous Vancouver postcard photographer Frank Gowen (1878-1946) whose most active period was the 1910s-1920s. (“Camera Workers…” online, vol. 2).
$85 CAD

 

SECHELT

406. [Real Photo Postcard Titled:] Holidaymakers on the Promenade. Sechelt, B.C.
Ca. 1920s. Gelatin silver print ca. 8,5x14 cm (3 3/8 x 5 ½ in). Titled in negative. A very good postcard.
“Sechelt, district municipality, pop. 8,454 (2006), is set on a neck of land separating Georgia Strait from Sechelt Inlet on the Sunshine Coast north of Vancouver. It is home to the Sechelt (Shishalh) First Nation, the first aboriginal group in Canada to adopt self-government, whose 725 members occupy the separate Sechelt Indian Government District. The Oblate missionary Paul Durieu established a mission here in 1868 and imposed his famous theocratic system on the Sechelt. The district was homesteaded by Thomas John Cook in 1893 but was developed after 1895 by Herbert Whitaker, hotel owner, storekeeper and postmaster” (The Encyclopedia of BC).
$65 CAD

 



 




 
About Us | Contact Us ©2018 The Wayfarer's Bookshop     
Antiquarian Booksellers Association of Canada International League of Antiquarian Booksellers Provincial Booksellers' Fairs Association International Map Collectors' Society The Ephemera Society Royal Geographical Society